Why Should I Care About Climate Trends?
- Changes in air temperature and precipitation patterns will shift habitat ranges of native species, making these systems more vulnerable to exotic invaders, pathogens, insects, and new diseases.
- Heat stress will impact the health of elderly and children.
- Farmers may enjoy the short-term benefits of a longer growing season, but variable timing and duration of precipitation may diminish less hardy, adaptable, or cold-weather crops.
- Droughts and floods in other parts of the country will likely increase food prices in our local grocery stores.
- Heavy rains will cause damage to habitat and infrastructure, including washed out roads and collapsed culverts.
- Warmer winter temperatures that replace snow with sleet or freezing rain will make ski conditions poor, forcing ski resorts to expend more money making their own snow.
- Shorter lake ice duration will mean a shorter season for ice fishing, skating, and snowmobiling.
- Treasured local or regional winter events will also likely be cancelled due to poor snow conditions or unsafe lake ice.